Chimayo, New Mexico - Heritage, Tradition, MagicImmerse yourself in the magical place that is Chimayo, New Mexico. This historic 17th Century Spanish village just 30 minutes north of Santa Fe nestles among orchards, fields and rolling hills. Chimayo invites a glimpse into a way of life unique in today's busy world: the legacy of internationally renowned weavers, authentic handicrafts and fine art, sacred sites and savory cuisine. These elements transform the small town of Chimayo to more than a point on a map.
Founded by the Ortega, Martinez, Chavez, Trujillo, Lopez, and Vigil families whose 3,000 descendents still live there, Chimayo's heritage encompasses collective struggle and triumph, self-sufficiency and interdependence, spirituality, culture and art.
Any tour of Chimayo, whether self-led (Download Heritage Chimayo Tour Map and Guide) or with a knowledgeable guide, takes you out of the 21st Century and into a world apart, where family bonds and beliefs endure.
Heritage Tours of Chimayo, New Mexico
Heritage Hotels & Resorts is honored to support and promote the community of Chimayo in Northern New Mexico just 30 minutes from Santa Fe. We encourage visitors to experience Chimayo by taking a tour. Following are different Chimayo tour options:
Personalized Guided Chimayo Tours
- Drive yourself and get a 90-minute custom guided tour of Chimayo with eleventh generation Chimayo native tour guide, Maria Lorraine Vigil
- Maria Lorraine Vigil is an enthusiastic native of Chimayo who enjoys introducing visitors to the breathtaking beauty, culture, community, spirituality and history of Chimayo
- $40/person, advanced reservations required
Contact Maria Lorraine Vigil at 505-614-6462 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chimayo Group Tours including transportation from Santa Fe
- This exclusive 4-hour Chimayo guided tour is offered daily by the local tour company Great Southwest Adventures. Maria Lorraine Vigil, an eleventh generation Chimayo native, gives the group a guided tour of her community in Chimayo.
- Tour departs Hotel Chimayo at 8am and returns at 12pm. Optional lunch package available at Rancho de Chimayo.
- $90/person, includes transportation and light refreshments. Minimum of 4 people required, advanced reservations required.
Self-Guided Chimayo Tour
- Discover the magical community of Chimayo on your own with this self-discovery tour
- Artists who are featured at Hotel Chimayo are highlighted in the guide - Download Chimayo Tour Map and Guide
New Mexico Hotel - Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe -Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe embraced the best of the artistic, culinary and spiritual traditions of this close-knit New Mexico community, bringing a glimpse of the rich cultural heritage to area visitors. We hope you'll be as transformed as we are and help us preserve the original heritage of this long-standing community for future generations.
A percentage of the hotel's room revenue is donated to the Chimayo Cultural Preservation Association (CCPA) to aid in its mission of building an archive of historical photographs and documents, gathering oral histories, maintaining historic buildings and increasing community awareness of local history and culture. Visitors may also make additional donations to the group. Learn more about supporting the CCPA: http://chimayomuseum.org/public_html2/member.html
Chimayo Suggested Reading and References
- "Sabino's Map: Life in Chimayo's Old Plaza"
Don J. Unser
- Chimayo Cultural Preservation Association: www.Chimayomuseum.org/public_html2/ccpa.html